Earn your Cake Badge by making this delightful cake. Full recipe details below.
For the cake:
- 225g butter (softened)
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250ml double cream
- 150g seedless raspberry jam
- 150g fresh raspberries
- 150g white chocolate
- Preheat oven to 190°C (Gas mark 5/375°F). Grease and line the base of 2 x 20cm round sandwich cake tins.
- Pop the butter and caster sugar in a large bowl and whisk together until well combined and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking after you add each egg.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder. Add the milk and vanilla then whisk again until fully combined.
- Divide the mixture between the 2 tins, gently smoothing the tops down with a spatula.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 20 minutes, until the cakes are golden and springy to the touch.
- Turn the cakes out onto cooling racks and leave to cool completely.
- Once the cakes are completely cool, pop 200ml of the cream into a bowl and whisk until fluffy. Pop into a piping bag with a wide round nozzle.
- Level the cakes if needed, then spread the jam over the top of one of the cakes.
- Reserve a handful of raspberries for the top of the cake, then arrange the rest around the edge of the cake, on top of the jam.
- Pipe the whipped cream to fill the middle of the cake then top with the second cake.
- Break the white chocolate into a microwave safe bowl and add the remaining 50g of double cream.
- Gently heat in 20 second bursts until the chocolate is melted and smooth, stirring in between.
- Spoon the white chocolate mixture over the top of the cake, pushing it gently to the edges with the back of the spoon so that it drips down the side a little.
- Pile the remaining raspberries on the top to decorate.
- Pop the cake in the fridge for ½ hour to set the ganache before serving.
- Enjoy it with friends and family!