Ingredients (makes 12 cupcakes):
For the cupcakes:
- 175g softened butter
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 175g self raising flour
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For the butter icing:
- 100g softened butter
- 225g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 100g milk chocolate
- 12 giant chocolate buttons
- 24 edible candy eyes
- red writing icing
Note: Make sure you have a grown up with you to help with baking!
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (Gas mark 4/350°F). Line a 12 hole muffin tin with 12 cupcake cases.
- Place the butter in a mixing bowl and whisk together with the caster sugar until light and fluffy. Break the eggs into a bowl and lightly whisk with a fork. Add the eggs a little at a time to the butter and sugar mix, whisking in between.
- Sift the flour on top, and using an electric whisk on a low speed, gently blend the ingredients together. Add the milk and vanilla extract and blend again. Increase the mixer speed and whisk for a few more seconds until well mixed.
- Divide the cake mixture between the cupcake cases. Bake for 20-25 minutes until risen, golden and springy to the touch. Once the cakes are cooked, transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- When ready to decorate, make the buttercream icing. Whisk the butter with an electric whisk until light and fluffy. Sift in the icing sugar, a little at a time, until completely combined. Add the vanilla extract and whisk again. Add the milk in small splashes until the icing is at the correct consistency for piping.
- Once the cakes are completely cool, spread a layer of buttercream over each one.
- Break the chocolate into a microwave safe bowl and heat at 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until just melted and smooth.
- Spoon the melted chocolate into a disposable piping bag.
- Snip the bottom from the piping bag and pipe on chocolate ‘legs’ for each spider. Top with a giant chocolate button for the spider’s body.
- Use the leftover melted chocolate to stick two edible candy eyes to each spider.
- Draw a mouth on each spider with the red writing icing.
- Pop the cupcakes into the fridge until the chocolate legs have just set, then store in an airtight container until ready to serve.