Ingredients (makes approx. 24 biscuits):
For the shortbread biscuits:
- 250g butter
- 125g sugar
- 375g plain flour
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g icing sugar
- Green, purple and pink gel food colouring
- Preheat oven to 160°C (Gas mark 2/325°F).
- Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper.
- Place the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl, then whisk together until pale and fluffy.
- Sieve in the flour, then add the vanilla extract. Whisk again until the mixture comes together in a dough.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to around 1cm thick. Using a small round biscuit cutter, cut circles from the dough then carefully transfer them to the baking trays.
- Bake for around 15 minutes until golden.
- Once cooked, leave the shortbread rounds to cool on the baking trays for a few minutes then transfer to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Once the biscuits are completely cool, make the icing:
- Sieve the icing sugar into a bowl then add a splash of water. Stir well until the sugar has dissolved and the icing is smooth. Add a little more water if needed to get the correct consistency of icing, suitable for piping.
- Divide the icing between three small bowls and colour with the gel food colourings.
- Spoon each portion of coloured icing into a disposable piping bag.
- Cut the tip from each piping bag and pipe footprint shapes onto the biscuits, in a variety of shapes and colours.
- Leave the icing to dry and set.
- Once the icing has completely dried, store the biscuits in an airtight container, layered with baking paper to separate them, until ready to serve.