Ingredients (makes 18):
- 250g strong wholemeal bread flour
- ½ tsp quick yeast
- ½ tsp sugar
- pinch salt
- 160ml warm water
- 1 ½ Tbsp olive oil
- fresh basil leaves
- 2 slices gouda cheese
- 1 Tbsp cream cheese
- Place the flour in a large bowl with the yeast, sugar and salt. Mix together until combined.
- Add the water and olive oil to the flour then mix will with your hands to form a dough.
- Tip out onto a clean work surface, scraping all of the dough out of the bowl, and knead for around ten minutes until the dough stops being so sticky and becomes more elastic. If it remains sticky after ten minutes, add a little more flour and knead for a minute or two longer.
- Oil a large bowl or pan and place the dough inside. Cover and leave to rise for around an hour until the dough has doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200°C (Gas mark 6/400°F).
- Whilst the dough is rising, oil two baking trays. Once the dough has doubled in size, knead it gently a couple of times to knock it back then divide it up into approx. 18 equal pieces.
- Form each piece into a long thin stick.
- Place the bread sticks on the oiled baking tray, then bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Once completely cool, cut a slit in the top of each bread stick and use the tip of the knife to push a small basil leaf into each one.
- Using a mini cutter, cut circles from the gouda cheese for eyes. Cut tiny circles from spare basil leaves and add to the cheese for pupils.
- Add two cheese eyes to each bread stick, sticking them in place with a small dab of cream cheese on the back.
- Serve immediately.
Share all your Duggee makes and bakes with us using the hashtag #DuggeeDishes!