No tricks, just treats! Get spooky in the kitchen and make scrumptious Stick sausage roll mummies. The perfect way to Duggee-fy your Halloween spread.
YOU WILL NEED
- 350g Pack frankfurter sausages
- 375g Ready-made puff pastry sheet
- 1 Egg
- 1 Carrot
- 2 Slices gouda cheese
- A handful of basil leaves
Note: A grown up is needed to supervise and help with small pieces, preparation and baking.
- Preheat oven to 200°C (Gas mark 6/390°F). Line a large tray with baking paper.
- Lay out the pastry sheet and gently roll with a rolling pin to about 5mm thick. Cut pastry into long thin strips, around 5mm wide.
- Roll and cut out shapes for Duggee’s features in the same way and dampen with water to stick onto the head shapes.
- Wrap strips of pastry around each sausage to turn them into spooky mummies.
- Break the egg into a small bowl and lightly whisk. Place the pastry-wrapped sausages on the lined baking tray, then brush with the egg.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until the sausages are piping hot and the pastry is golden and puffed up. Once cooked, carefully transfer to a cooling rack.
- Once cool enough to handle, turn your sausage mummies into stick characters:
- Peel the carrot and cut out matchsticks for the legs and arms – 4 for each mummy. Push carrot arms and legs into the sausages, between the pastry strips.
- Cut circles from the gouda cheese for the eyes using a small sharp knife. Cut tiny circles from basil leaves and add to the cheese for pupils.
- Cut a small slit in the top of each sausage and use the tip of the knife to push a small basil leaf into it.
- Finish with the cheese and basil eyes and serve immediately.
Remember to share your wonderful Duggee creations with us by tagging @HeyDuggee on socials or sending photos by direct message. Enjoy!