Every camper needs a snack, try making these tent cupcakes for your next camping trip.
Ingredients (makes 12 cupcakes):
For the cupcakes
- 175g softened butter
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 150g self-raising flour
- 50g cocoa powder
- 1 level tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 150g softened butter
- 325g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- green gel food colouring
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- 200g black fondant icing
- 75g blue fondant icing
- 75g red fondant icing
Note: Make sure you have a grown up with you to help with baking!
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (Gas mark 4/350°F). Line a 12-hole muffin tin with 12 muffin cases.
- In a large bowl, whisk the butter with the caster sugar until light and fluffy. Break the eggs into another bowl and lightly whisk with a fork. Add the eggs a little at a time to the butter and sugar mix, whisking in between.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder into the bowl, and using an electric whisk on a low speed, gently blend all the ingredients together.
- Add the milk and vanilla extract and whisk again until combined.
- Divide the cake mixture between the muffin cases. Bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and springy to the touch. Once the cakes are cooked, transfer them to a wire rack to cool.
- While the cakes are cooling, make the fondant tents: Divide the black fondant into 12 pieces and shape each piece into a tent shape, around 3cm long. Roll out the red fondant icing and cut out 6 rectangles approx. 6cm x 4cm in size. Drape the red rectangles over the black tent centres to make your tents – they should overlap a little but you can trim them if needed. Repeat with the blue fondant until you have 12 tent toppers.
- When ready to decorate, make the buttercream icing: Whisk the butter with an electric whisk until light and fluffy. Sift in the icing sugar, a little at a time, until completely combined. Add the vanilla extract and green gel food colouring and whisk again. Add the milk in small splashes until the icing is at the correct consistency for piping.
- Once the cakes are completely cool, spoon the buttercream into a piping bag with a grass piping nozzle. Cover the top of each cupcake with piped tufts of buttercream ‘grass’.
- Pop a fondant tent onto the top of each cupcake to finish.
- Enjoy while out camping or at home.