Recipe by Juliet Sear for BBC Good Food
- 200g salted butter
- 200g golden caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 375g plain flour
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Mikado sticks [about 20 sticks]
- 50g white sugar paste
- 25g black sugar paste
- 25g red sugar paste
- 25g green sugar paste
- 200g milk chocolate (melted)
YOU WILL NEED
- Lined baking tray
- Small knife
- Pastry brush
- Lolly sticks
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and prepare two lined baking trays. Beat the butter and sugar together until combined then beat in the egg and vanilla. Add all of the flour and mix into a soft dough. If the dough is very soft chill for 15 mins before shaping.
- Roll the dough into log shapes about 1.5cm-2cm in diameter and then cut into pieces 15cm long.
- Insert a lolly stick into each biscuit as well as a mikado arm piece on each side. Place on the baking trays evenly spread apart.
- Bake for 15-20 min until golden brown, but check after 15 as all ovens will vary and then transfer onto a wire rack to cool.
- Melt the milk chocolate, and once the biscuits are cool use a pastry brush to gently paint all over the back of each stick, going a little around the sides and on the back of the Mikados.
- Once set flip the sticks over and paint the fronts, and then leave for 30mins to completely set.
- Add his leaf, eyes and mouth by moulding little pieces of the icing to create the boggly eyes, mouth and leaf. Stick them on using a little of the leftover melted chocolate.