Recipe by April Carter
For the gingerbread:
- 150g unsalted butter
- 110g treacle
- 110g golden syrup
- 110g light brown soft sugar
- 720g plain flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 large egg
For the decoration:
- 500g instant royal icing
- Red, blue, yellow and green food colouring
- Small amount of black and red fondant for clubhouse doors and windows
- Small amount of assorted colour fondant for Duggee, squirrels and trees
- 35cm cake board covered with white fondant
- Place the butter, treacle, golden syrup and sugar in a large pan. Melt and set aside to cool slightly. Meanwhile, sift the flour, baking powder, salt, ginger and cinnamon into a bowl and set aside. Beat the egginto the butter mixture and stir in the flour mixture to create a soft dough. Divide into three discs, wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Make templates to cut around for the clubhouse, trees, Duggee and squirrels (if making). The clubhouse dimensions are 21 x 14cm for the front and back pieces, 21 x 6.7cm for the two diagonal roof pieces and 21 x 8cm for the top of the roof. The two side pieces are a 14cm square topped with an 8 x 14cm trapezoid. Cut the doors out of the front template so that they can be cut out separately.
- Follow the packet instructions to make up the royal icing and add extra water one tablespoon at a time until smooth enough to pipe with. Keep the icing covered while not in use. Transfer half of the icing to a piping bag and snip a small amount off of the end. Pipe the tile detail onto each roof cookie. Roll out a small amount of red and black fondant to create the doors, hinges and windows (make a window for each side panel too) and fix to the front, side panels and doors with some royal icing. Colour a small amount of royal icing and pipe the window outlines, door panels and trees. Decorate Duggee and the squirrels in the same way.
- To construct the clubhouse, stick the front and side pieces to the covered cake board with a generous amount of white royal icing and leave to completely set for at least two hours before adding the roof and doors. Pipe over any gaps with some more royal icing. Fix Duggee, the squirrels and trees to the cake board with a small amount of white fondant to help them stand up.