Chew Chew Xmas Puddings
For the Christmas puddings:
- 35g unsalted butter
- 35g plain chocolate
- 90ml boiling water
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1tbsp cocoa
- 35ml buttermilk
- 90g plain flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 110g soft brown sugar
- 1 egg
For the buttercream:
- 75g unsalted butter, softened
- 150g icing sugar, sifted
- milk, to loosen
- 250g white fondant
- 100g black fondant
- pink, red and green fondant, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180’ Grease 4 x 175ml mini pudding basins and place a disc of parchment paper on the base.
- In a medium saucepan, put the butter, chocolate, boiling water, vanilla extract and cocoa. When its all melted, and combined, set aside to cool, then add the buttermilk.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and sugar. Pour in the cooled chocolate mixture, then add the egg. Mix to thoroughly combine. Divide between the darioles. Bake for 25 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the puddings comes out clean. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the buttercream, whisk the butter until light (using an electric hand whisk or a freestanding mixer). Slowly add the icing sugar, loosening with milk, until light and fluffy. Spread a small layer of this all over the chocolate puddings.
- Roll out the white fondant to a 5mm thickness and wrap around each pudding. then wrap a semi-circle of additional white icing around the bottom half of the pudding. Roll out black fondant and use a semi-circle of this to cover the top half of each pudding. This will be Chew Chew’s body.
- Use a round cutter to cut out a circle for Chew Chew’s face, and place this onto the black half of the body, carefully positioning it so that it doesn’t sit fully flat onto the top of the body. Top this with two small circles for her eyes, and a little circle for her nose. Place even smaller white circles into the middle of the black circles to complete the eyes – then finish with a dot of edible ink and eyelashes. Add a mouth using light pink fondant.
- Cut out two small circles to make Chew Chew’s feet, and place them onto the white half of the body. Top with pink fondant to make the pads of her feet. Add black semi circles to make her hands. Top the Chew Chew Christmas puddings with balls of red, and leaves of green for a festive holly flourish.